Friday 7 August 2009

Books.

Just thought I'd talk about books today.
I've always been quite a big reader ever since I was little, since I learnt to read I couldn't stop basically. Apart from writing my own stories, reading stories was my big love. As I progressed through first, middle and high school I ended up reading a bit less as I had a bit less time to read, and the free time that I did have gradually got filled with more...illegal activities shall we say, and for a while reading took a bit of a back seat.

The first books I can remember reading are The Hungry Caterpillar (obviously, I mean who doesn't love that book?) and Cuddly Dudley. Cuddly Dudley was a penguin who liked cuddles, and that's about all I can remember about the story. But I loved it.
Then I moved onto things like Roald Dahl, Enid Blyton things like that, and loved them! Roald Dahl's stories really did used lighten up my days, my favourites being Fantastic Mr Fox (which is being made into a mo-cap film with George Clooney's voice!!!) and Willy Wonka's stories. By the way, on that note I have to say that the original version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is clearly king. So there.

Now I'm not bragging, but I've always been a good reader, fairly mature and ahead of my peers. By this I mean that my friends were usually reading books like Angus Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging etc while I was having my first crack at the LotR's trilogy after reading the Hobbit and loving it. It's not arrogance I don't think. I've always loved words and so devoured them. A love and a passion for something is always going to come in handy regarding you skill for it. I can't sail for shit but that's because quite frankly, and nothing against sailors here, I don't give a shit about sailing. Sterling example there I think you'll agree.
So yes, I'd say I'm good at reading, and always have been, because of my love for it. I'm one of those people who is always reading at least two books at the same time, ( not literally, I'm not a spidery multiple eyed version of Lakshmi or whichever one it is that's got too many arms) but usually 3 or upwards. My parents have never been able to understand that, and to be honest I don't either. It's not that I get confused with the stories or anything, I'm not that thick contrary to popular belief :) I do sometimes wish I could just concentrate on one book at a time. The only books that seem to be the exception are Harry Potter :) but that's only because I usually finish them in one sitting. To date, I have read HP's 1, 2, 3 and 4 all 8 times, HP 5 7 times I think, and 6 & 7 a measly 3 or 4 times. That's mainly because I was a lot younger when the first four came out and I devoured them, and then as there was such a long wait for the 5th book I just redevoured them while I waited :)

Then came what happened in January. On top of everything else, it kind of threw my reading out the window to say the least.
But now I'm kind of getting back into the swing of things. I've been reading a lot more again, actually more so than while I was at high school really, probably because I've actually got a lot of spare time on my hands to put it lightly! It started with Watership Down, yes partly prompted by all the bunny love in my heart :)
Then recently I've read a few books I've already forgotten so they obviously weren't that good, as well as a few biography type books. I can't remember who the first one was by, but I finished Chris Moyles' Difficult Second Book last nigh after I found it for £2 in Fopp, and now I'm reading Jonathon Ross' Why Do I Say These Things. I'm also sort of reading Dear Fatty by Dawn French too.
As well as Moyles' book Fopp also had Twilight for £2 and two books by James Frey. I've been intrigued by the furore around the Twilight saga, and while I don't really want to buy the film unless I reeeeeeeeeally have to, I didn't want to do that at all until I'd read the book, which I also didn't want to spend £7.99 on. Yes I'm a cheapskate. So when I saw it for £2 I thought hey here's my chance :)
So far I've only read the first chapter, because I want to finish Wossy's book first. That's right, I'm trying to be a one book woman. I know what you're thinking. "It'll never last." You're probably right but I'm giving it a go. But it's frustrating cos I really want to read Twilight!!!

So books. I love em. Just never ask me what my single favourite book is. I might implode.
But I'm going to he a hypocrite and ask you all, what's your favourite book? Or one of them at least? Recommend me some some books, please. I'm getting my reading mojo back but it's no good if I've got nothing to read!

H. X

1 comment:

  1. I have all the Twilight books but kinda want to see the films before I read the books so New Moon will have to wait for a few months yet

    ReplyDelete